From: benjayk
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-08-21, 18:26:33
Subject: Re: Simple proof that our intelligence transcends that of computers

meekerdb wrote:

> On 8/21/2012 2:52 PM, benjayk wrote:
>>
>> meekerdb wrote:

>>> I know it by simple logic - in which I have observed humans to be
>>> relatively slow and
>>> error prone.
>>>

>>> regards, The Computer
>>>
>> Well, that is you imagining to be a computer. But program an actual
>> computer that concludes this without it being hard-coded into it. All it
>> could do is repeat the opinion you feed it, or disagree with you,
>> depending
>> on how you program it.
>>
>> There is nothing computational that suggest that the statement is true or
>> false. Or if it you believe it is, please attempt to show how.
>>
>> In fact there is a better formulation of the problem: 'The truth-value of
>> this statement is not computable.'.
>> It is true, but this can't be computed, so obviously no computer can
>> reach
>> this conclusion without it being fed to it via input (which is something
>> external to the computer). Yet we can see that it is true.
>
> Not really. You're equivocating on "computable" as "what can be computed"
> and "what a
> computer does". You're supposing that a computer cannot have the
> reflexive inference
> capability to "see" that the statement is true.
No, I don't supppose that it does. It results from the fact that we get a
contradiction if the computer could see that the statement is true (since it
had to compute it, which is all it can do).

meekerdb wrote:

> Yet you're also supposing that when we
> "see" it is true that that is not a computation.
No. It can't be a computation, since if it were a computation we couldn't
conclude it is true (as this would be a contradiction, as I showed above).
Unless you reject binary logic, but I am sure the problem also arises in
other logics. I might try this later.

meekerdb wrote:

> As Bruno would say, you are just
> rejecting COMP and supposing - not demonstrating - that humans can do
> hypercomputation.
I didn't say hypercomputation. Just something beyond computation.