On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 8:52 AM, benjayk <benjamin.jaku...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> Jason Resch-2 wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 1:52 PM, benjayk
> > <benjamin.jaku...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> >> sentence
> >> assert

> consistently
> is
> >> assert

> more

> >> my
> >> that
> >> out

> built

> >> consisted
> >> nor

> >> why
> >> because
> >> it
> just

> >> The universal dovetailer just goes through all computations in the sense
> >> of
> >> universal-turing-machine-equivalent-computation. As Bruno mentioned,
> that
> >> doesn't even exhaust what computers can do, since they can, for example,
> >> prove things (and some languages prove some things that other languages
> >> don't).
> >>

> > It exhausts all the possibilities at the lowest level, which implies
> > exhausting all the possibilities for higher levels.
> >
> ????
>
> Sorry but that's nonsense. Look at the word: "break"
> At the lowest level it is just one word, yet at the higher level there are
> many possibilities what it could mean.
>
> Exactly the same applies to computations. For every computation are there
> infinitely many possibilities what it could mean (1+1=2 could mean that you
> add two apples, or two oranges, or that you add the value of two registers
> or that you increase the value of a flag).
> Many very long computations are *relatively* less ambigous (relative to
> us),
> but they are still ambigous.
>
> Taking the universal dovetailer, it could really mean everything (or
> nothing), just like the sentence "You can interpret whatever you want into
> this sentence..." or like the stuff that monkeys type on typewriters.

A sentence (any string of information) can be interpreted in any possible
way, but a computation defines/creates its own meaning.  If you see a
particular step in an algorithm adds two numbers, it can pretty clearly be
interpreted as addition, for example.

> Jason Resch-2 wrote:
> >
> > For example: if you exhausted every possible configuration of atoms, you
> > would also exhaust every possible chemical, every possible life form, and
> > every possible human.
> Only because there is no absolute seperation between levels in actual
> physical reality.
> That is, you can't find atoms without a context of things and you can't
> find
> things that don't contain atoms.

You can have programs with no separation between levels too.  You might
have a simulation of atomic interactions, and within this simulation the
atoms could be arranged in any possible way to create any possible
structure.  Among these structures, there is no clear separation.

> Jason Resch-2 wrote:
> >

> >> Also, the universal dovetailer can't select a computation. So if I write
> >> program that computes something specific, I do something that the UD
> >> doesn't
> >> do.
> >>

> > But you, as the one writing a specific program, is an element of the UD.
> First, you presuppose that I am a contained in a computation.
>
> Secondly, that's not true. There are no specific programs in the UD. The UD
> itself is a specifc program and in it there is nothing in it that
> dilineates
> on program from the others.

Each program has its own separate, non-overlapping, contiguous memory space.

> It is like there are no specific numbers in the number 123456789. it is one
> number; it doesn't contain numbers. We only interpret that into it (using
> some algorithm), but then using the right algorithm, we can construct all
> numbers out of it. Still no one would say that 123456789 exhaust all
> numbers.

Programs don't have to look at the whole number and interpret it as such.
 They can focus on smaller sections of it.  Indeed, almost every program
does this.  Your computer's RAM represents a single number with billions of
digits, but each program on your computer focuses only at little pieces
and manipulates only small pieces of this one, very big, number.

> Jason Resch-2 wrote:
> >
> >  The UD contains an entity who believes it writes a single program.
> No! The UD doesn't contain entities at all. It is just a computation. You
> can only interpret entities into it.

Why do I have to?  As Bruno often asks, does anyone have to watch your
brain through an MRI and interpret what it is doing for you to be conscious?

> Jason Resch-2 wrote:
> >
> >> It is similar to claiming that it is hard to find a text that is not
> >> derived
> >> from monkeys bashing on type writers, just because they will produce
> >> every
> >> possible output some day.
> >>
> >> Intelligence is not simply blindly going through every possibility but
> >> also
> >> encompasses organizing them meaningfully and selecting specific ones and
> >> producing them in a certain order and producing them within a certain
> >> time
> >> limit.
> >>

> > And there are processes that do this, within the UD.
> No. It can't select a computation because it includes all computations. To
> select a computation you must exclude some compuations, and the UD can't do
> that (since it is precisely going through all computations)

So it selects them all, and excludes nothing.  How is this a meaningful
limitation?

If you look at two entities, X, and Y.  X can do everything Y can do, and
more, but Y can only do a subset of what X does.  You say that X is more
limited than Y because it can't do only what Y does.

> Jason Resch-2 wrote:
> >
> >   The UD is an example
> > that programs can grow beyond the intentions of the creator.
> I don't dispute that at all. I very much agree that computer rise beyond
> the
> intention of their users (because we don't actually know what the program
> will actually do).

Okay.

Do you believe a computer program could evolve to be more intelligent than
its programmer?

I don't know if you watch star trek, but is there a reason the android Data
could not develop and become smarter than his creator Dr. Soong?

> Jason Resch-2 wrote:
> >
> >  The UD itself
> > isn't intelligent, but it contains intelligences.
> I am not even saying that the UD isn't intelligent. I am just saying that
> humans are intelligent in a way that the UD is not (and actually the
> opposite is true as well).

Okay, could you clarify in what ways we are more intelligent?

For example, could you show a problem that can a human solve that a
computer with unlimited memory and time could not?

> Jason Resch-2 wrote:

> >> of
> >> (the
> something

> >> laws,

> >> brain
> >> point
> primitive
> >> of
> >> it
> >> know,
> >> can
> it
> >> follows
> >> evidence

> >> No. They don't exist in the first place, except in the mind of
> >> physicists.
> >> They are approximate descriptions of the behaviour of the world. Just
> >> like
> >> "The sun rises in the morning" (except more accurate, of course).
> >>

> > Do you think it is possible, in principal, for human beings to live in a
> > realm that had fixed laws?
> No, because such a realm is an impossibility. Fixed laws are only
> abstraction (very useful and quite accurate ones, though).

I might be mistaken, but I get the impression you are trying to avoid the
implications of this line of reasoning.

Jason