On 8/29/2012 11:12 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 10:14:38 AM UTC-4, Stephen Paul King wrote:

        Right! That is how naming occurs.

Nice!

I was thinking of this:

If we recorded every commercial transaction by name, we could produce a fingerprint signature for any given commodity sold by plotting out a function of price vs location. If we wanted to quantify a Hershey with Almonds bar, we could come up with a unique set of datapoints for every store in every city that corresponds to those sales and reverse engineer a wavefunction that we could associate uniquely with the HwA bar.

Still we have said nothing about the chocolate or the consumers, buyers, or sellers. We can't ever get to the quality of what is being sole even though we have a convincing way of articulating the quantitative nature and topological distribution of the sales transactions.

I think this it the critical fault of all possible systems which seek to approach consciousness as a secondary effect. Whether materialist or idealist, all quant-based approaches are doomed to mistake the interstitial relation for that which is relating.

Craig
Hi Craig,

Nice idea but it would wreck the fungibility requirement that modern economies require. The fact that the physical object Mars Bar is equivalent to any other Mars Bar is how quality is maintained for a brand. The same goes for the value of a Dollar bill. It the value where history dependent then it would make all physical object unique and thus not fungible. The cost of tracking the differences of commodities would be HUGE and swamp everything else. We see a toy model of the case where fungibility vanishes (ideally as copies are forgeries!) in the art market.

--
Onward!

Stephen