From: Craig Weinberg
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-09, 13:53:09
Subject: Re: The All

On Saturday, September 8, 2012 9:12:38 AM UTC-4, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
On 08.09.2012 14:37 Stephen P. King said the following:
> On 9/8/2012 6:51 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:

>>> Hi Evgenii,
>>>
>>> I would not, and neither Pratt, use the notion of substance as
>>> did Descartes. Pratt explains himself well:
>>> http://boole.stanford.edu/pub/ratmech.pdf

>>> The duality between mind in body is defined in terms of the
>>> relation that is known in mathematics to exist between Boolean
>>> algebras and certain topological spaces. Pratt presents a
>>> step-wise variational calculus to model both body -body and
>>> mind-mind interactions.
>>>

>> How would Pratt describe the phenomenon of the image behind the
>> mirror in his representation?
>>
>> Evgenii
>>
> Hi Evgenii,
>
> The image in the mirror is a simple transformation of coordinates,
> but Pratt is not considering that aspect.

I would say that the image in the mirror is a visual illusion created
presumably by the brain. Don't you agree? Then it is exactly a
relationship between mental and physical states but not in the form of
ideas but rather images.

Evgenii

I think that the image is in the mirror to the same extent that it is in our
retina and our mind. They are all indications of the specular extension of
sense through matter. It happens to be in an optical to visual sense but the
same principle occurs going from tactile to acoustic to aural. You can see and
feel the woofer of a speaker vibrating and you can feel that in your ear as
well as hear sound through your ears and through the speaker.

This is what the universe is made of. Not primitive matter or information bur
experiential propagation. It is and it isn't a Platonic ideal manifesting in
different forms. It is and it isn't different causes and effects of physical
substance. What it ultimately has to be though, is an experience of both the
ideal and material relating to each other or the ideal and material diverging
from the neutral monism of sense.

In the material sense, photons from the silvered glass reflect into our eye
(really a stretch when applied to images...Classical optics at least is
technically useful, but both photons and 'rays' I think are figurative
abstractions rather than concretely physical independent structures)

In the ideal sense, computational coordinates are transposed and decoded by the
computational processes of the brain. (doesn't explain the mechanism of, or
possibility for any visual experience, as verified by blindsight),

In the multisense sense, both of the former are true and untrue in their own
way, but only to serve the purpose of their native human level of significance
- the anthropological layer in which our primary experiences take place, with
human bodies and natural environments; where we see through our own eyes the
world that we relate to directly and the reflections of images in surfaces are
part of that gestalt embodiment. What we see is human visual experience, and we
can use reflective materials as opportunities to extend that sensitivity
prosthetically.

Craig

Craig