On Sep 11, 2012, at 4:20 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:20:49 PM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote:

Look how lawful and rich a very simple program, less than 1K, can define:

Statistically, shouldn't we see this simple 1K sequence frequently in nature?

Well we do see it, on natural creations of a natural form of life: YouTube, posters, book covers, monitors.

I mean precisely. Shouldn't there be hundreds of species of beetle that have patterns on their backs which are derived exclusively from the Mandelbot set.

The chance of a 1K pattern arising randomly (with no particular selection pressure) is 1 in 2 to the 8192nd power. So even though there are millions of beatle species, that doesn't come close.

Also, having heard Mandelbrot as audio data instead of visual, I can say that the impact of the experience is diminished by orders of magnitude.

That seems like an unnatural transformation, Do you know the particulars of how the set was turned into audio?

It may only be visual sense that makes something as meaningless and recursive as Mandelbrot look interesting to us.

It is interesting for many reasons. I was again awestruck watching one of the videos today. It is do astounding such patterns come from such a simple definition.

Jason

Craig

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/everything-list/-/GqxsilAo_mkJ .