Just saw this article quite relevant to our discussion:

Researchers have used a neural implant to recapture a lost
decision-making process in monkeys—demonstrating that a neural
prosthetic can recover cognitive function in a primate brain.

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/429204/a-brain-implant-that-thinks/?nlid=nldly&nld=2012-09-14

--
Stathis Papaioannou