On Sep 17, 2012, at 3:26 PM, "Stephen P. King" <stephe...@charter.net> wrote:

On 9/17/2012 1:20 PM, Terren Suydam wrote:
Stephen - the Matrix video is a faithful interpretation of comp, but
Craig's story is not, unless he includes the crucial narrative - that
of the simulated Craig eating the simulated meal. I expect Craig to
say that the simulated Craig, the one making the yummy noises, is a
zombie, and has no actual experience or inner narrative. He is
entitled of course to that position. He is just saying no to the
doctor.

Terren
Dear Terren,

You are completely missing his point. He is highlighting the fact that there is a difference that makes a difference between the case of "of the simulated Craig eating the simulated meal" and "of the "real" Craig eating the "real" meal".

Unless the neurons themselves are directly and independently responsible for qualia, (which is doubtful because there would be no clear mechanism for an individual neuron to articulate the wonder of its sensations to the brain as a whole), the only difference that makes a difference are the firings patterns of neurons.

This is the only time information that makes a difference to other neurons is communicated. At each moment, all the differences, all the information a neuron has received is boiled down to one bit: to fire or not to fire.

Using information theory, and known limitations if information representation in physics, It could be shown that a biological brain has only some certain and finite information available to it. This places an upper bound on the things it knows and can talk about. An equivalent artificial brain could be engineered to contain the same information and the same knowledge. There would be nothing the biological brain could know that the artificial brain does not: they were created to have identical information content. If one knows 2+2 is 4, they both do, if one knows what red is like, they both do.

Jason

There has to be a "grundlagen" level at which there is not a "simulation", there has to be a "real thing" that the simulations are some deformed copy of. I have postulated, following an idea from Stephen Woolfram, that a physical system (in its evolution) in the "real word" *is* the best possible "simulation" and thus it is literally the "real thing" that all images that we might have of it in our minds are mere simulations. Craig is diving deep into this idea and looking at it "from the inside" and reporting to us his observations.