From: Craig Weinberg
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-21, 10:58:11
Subject: Physics, Metaphysics, and Realism

I see all of our experiences, including dreams and delusions as being physical,
but not necessarily ?eal?. To me, realism is a loose term describing the ?iddle
of the road? range of experiences in which bodies and minds are clearly
separate. The contrasting ?nreal? ranges are the profoundly
spiritual/psychedelic/psychotic experiences and the profoundly
logical/mathematical/abstracted principles, both of which can be understood as
signifying real or more-than-real referents.
Physical (< Unrealism of Logic < Realism of Bodies and Space ? Realism of
Experiences and Time > Unrealism of Psyche >)*
Metaphysical = Hypothetically outside of spacetime and matter.
Energy = Logical conceptualization of the perception and participation of
material bodies in spacetime.
Information = Logical conceptualization of logic in spacetime.
Logic = Phenomenology turned in on itself - subjectivity that seeks to evacuate
subjectivity of itself, leaving purely universal and involuntary truths as a
residual product.
Psyche = Deep phenomenology. Unconstrained by logic, subjectivity is free to
sense and dream itself into transpersonal and near-metaphysical ranges of
experience.

* This is the Multisense Continuum, which is involuted like a Mobius strip, and
can be shuffled and turned around:
< Unrealism of Logic
< Realism of Bodies and Space ? Realism of Experiences and Time >
Unrealism of Psyche >
(? = ?erpendicular/orthogonal fold? relation of Pedestrian Realism, ie
supermarket reality).

? Realism of Experiences and Time >
Unrealism of Psyche > < Unrealism of Logic
< Realism of Bodies and Space ?
(> < = ?vanescent dissolve? relation of Profound Unrealism, ie hypnogogic
trance, epiphany, transcendence, enlightnenment)

The contemporary cosmology I would describe this way:

Information   Laws of Physics > Energy   Matter  ?  Space   Time

The problems with this are embodied as problems with Idealism, Materialism, and
Infocentrism, with each being unable to account for the prominence of the other
without disqualifying it. Materialism makes information and subjectivity
unreal, Idealism makes matter and spacetime unreal, Infocentricism makes matter
and subjectivity unreal.

Each of these three views have a blind spot for their own bias, which becomes
pathological when applied in a thoroughly literal way to the the universe.
Living beings become indistinguishable from programmed robots and animated
cadavers. The world becomes an illusion conjurable by codes. We paint ourselves
into a corner so that we are forced to conceive of ourselves paradoxically as
epiphenomenal voyeurs yet inevitably omnipotent masters of the universe and
ourselves.

My approach, of course, is to weigh anchor with sense itself, as the primordial
prerequisite of being and doing that is beneath and above all forms, materials,
spaces, times, and subjective experiences. A neutral monism which projects
itself within itself, always through juxtaposed experiences. Sense puts the
'in' into information and makes structures matter.