The second book has the explanation, the first, is the mechanism.  The
oxitocin as many other hormones, are a mechanism that fix or promotes a set
of behaviours instead of others. Hormonal discharge is the mechanism that
the mammals have for modulating middle-long term responses. (For short term
discharged hormone flows trough the brain and adjust the responses of
various mental modules. But this is a mechanism, not a magic substance that
produces love, in the same way that the binary code is not a source of
wishdom, even if it is used by computers.

The evolutionary explanation is the interesting one. Many people say that
the switch to more collaborative behaviours in humans appeared around
50.000- 60.000 years ago, when the human population nearly dissapeared. By
the way, the cheetah also  had an extreme episode of near-extinction whose
result is that al cheetah are almost equal genetically and very peaceful
between them.  We humans also are extraordinarily similar and peaceful, in
relative terms. Both cases may be related with  small survival spots
surrounded by very challenging environments, that produced migrations ,
overpopulation of these spots. This produced harsh conflicts, but the
sports that managed to make use of the knowledge and mutual help of  wide
group survived. And may be that only one of them did, because this group
was no more that 1000 individuals. Perhaps they survived thanks to a
peaceful leader? A christ of the stone age that selected their followers
from the peaceful ones? was ºit a mutant clan?. My hypotesis is that Jesus
Christ in evoked the instinctive feelings developped 50.000 years ago.

The human empathy goes beyond thit-for-that.  Humans may be almost pure
altruistic. Many people sincerely die for causes that will give nothing for
him (although it would give to their descendants, and this is enough for
evolution to select pure altruism). Pure altruism is not stable, But it is
stable when there is a mechanism of collective altruistic, detection
and punishment of free riders,

However the selfish tendencies are not maladaptations. They are more
primitive, but they are part of our nature.and are determinant in how human
society works. To be selfish with you is good if there is
 loyalty (selflessness) around a wider whole that embrace you and me, and
both you and me work for it. Selfishness inside selflessness make human
society sucessful.

--
Alberto.