On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 11:45 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> You're suggesting that even if one implant works as well as the
>> original, multiple implants would not. Is there a critical replacement
>> limit, 20% you feel normal but 21% you don't? How have you arrived at
>> this insight?
>

> If you have one brain tumor, you may still function. With multiple tumors,
> you might not fare as well. Tumors function fine on some levels (they are
> living cells successfully dividing) but not on others (they fail to stop
> dividing, perhaps because there is a diminished identification with the
> sense of the organ as a whole).
>
> Because we are 100% ignorant of any objective ontology of consciousness,
> there is no reason to assume that an implant can possibly function well
> enough to act as a replacement on all levels, unless possibly if the implant
> was made of one's own stem cells (probably the best avenue to pursue).

You're not really answering the question. The neural implants are
refined to the point where thousands of people are walking around with
them with no problem. Any objective or subjective test thrown at them
they pass. There are implants available for every part of the brain.
You're saying that if someone has 12 implants of the best possible
design they will be fine, but when they get 13 they will start to act
strangely. How can you know that this will happen? You're not just
saying here that it would be technically difficult, you're saying that
it would be *impossible* for the implants to work properly. So what
physical law that you know about and no-one else does would be broken?

--
Stathis Papaioannou