On 10/6/2012 10:40 AM, Jason Resch wrote:

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 12:14 AM, Stephen P. King <stephe...@charter.net <mailto:stephe...@charter.net>> wrote:

    On 10/6/2012 1:02 AM, Jason Resch wrote:

    On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 6:54 PM, Stephen P. King
    <stephe...@charter.net <mailto:stephe...@charter.net>> wrote:

        On 9/29/2012 10:11 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
        Indeed. I think 17 is intrinsically a prime number in all
        possible realities.

            It is not a reality in a world that only has 16 objects
        in it. I can come up with several other counter-examples in
        terms of finite field, but that is overly belaboring a point.

    This can clearly be shown to be false.  For me to be responding
    to this post (using a a secure connection to my mail server)
    requires the use of prime numbers of 153 decimal digits in length.

    There are on the order of 10^90 particles in the observable
    universe.  This is far smaller than the prime numbers which are
    larger than 10^152.  So would you say these numbers are not
    prime, merely because we don't have 10^153 things we can point to?

    If a number P can be prime in a universe with fewer than P
    objects in it, might P be prime in a universe with 0 objects?

    Jason

    LOL Jason,

        Did you completely miss the point of "reality"? When is it
    even possible to have a "universe with 0 objects"? Nice oxymoron!

Say there is a universe that exists only an infinitely extended 3-manifold. Is this not a "universe with 0 objects"?

In any case, did my example change your opinion regarding the primality of 17 in a universe with 16 objects?

Jason

Were did the "infinitely extended 3-manifold" come from? You are treating it as if it where an object!

--
Onward!

Stephen