On 10/9/2012 12:01 PM, meekerdb wrote:
On 10/9/2012 4:22 AM, Stephen P. King wrote:
On 10/9/2012 2:16 AM, meekerdb wrote:
On 10/8/2012 3:49 PM, Stephen P. King wrote:
Hi Russell,

Question: Why has little if any thought been given in AGI to self-modeling and some capacity to track the model of self under the evolutionary transformations?

It's probably because AI's have not needed to operate in environments where they need a self-model. They are not members of a social community. Some simpler systems, like Mars Rovers, have limited self-models (where am I, what's my battery charge,...) that they need to perform their functions, but they don't have general intelligence (yet).

Could the efficiency of the computation be subject to modeling? My thinking is that if an AI could rewire itself for some task to more efficiently solve that task...

I don't see why not. A genetic-algorithm might be a subprogram that seeks an efficient code for some function within some larger program. Of course it would need some definition or measure of what counts as 'efficient'.

How about "capable of finding the required solution given a finite quantity of resources".

--
Onward!

Stephen