2012/11/27 John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>

> On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > it's not a question of keeping their brains syncronized.  They will
>> *never* be in syncrony.
>>

> Never is a long time. And two atomic clocks can run in synchrony even
> though they are sensitive to far far astronomically far thinner slices of
> time than anything biological.
>
> > Even though the same information is sent to Moscow and Washington, the
>> processes of reconstructing the man from Helsinki will not be identical;
>> the non-linearities and random effects like cosmic rays and K40 decays will
>> mean the two clones are already different before they have enough brain to
>> think anything.
>>

> Sure in the real world it's hard to isolate things completely from the
> environment, but this is a thought experiment so anything that doesn't
> violate the basic laws of physics is fair game; what's more this is about
> philosophy and everybody knows philosophy has nothing to do with the real
> world.
>

>>   > Of course people change moment-to-moment yet we identify them as 'the
>> same person'.
>>

> Yes.
>
> > So I think the point of this is that the continuity of identity relies
>> entirely on the memory of the two clones - their shared memories of the
>> Helsinki man.  There is no other sense in which they can be considered 'the
>> same'
>>

> Until the environment changes one but not the other there may be 2 bodies
> and 2 brains but there is only one mind, but when one remember something
> the other doesn't they differentiate, but as long as they still remember
> being the Helsinki man they both are the Helsinki man.

Yes but both feels unique, they have a unique POV be it W or M. We start
from one unique POV and we get two unique POV, we never get one POV that
encompass W and M. The indeterminacy is if you take the W guy, he was the H
guy, he pushed the button and then he is the W guy and not the M guy, he
couldn't have know he would be when he was the H guy that he would end at
W, same thing in M if you replace the W by M. There is a probability 1/2 of
being the W guy or the M guy in this protocol. It is a valid question to
ask what is the probabilty. Imagine the same experiment in MWI setup and
you play loto, the probability to win is 1/175000000000, that means
1/175000000000 of next you will win and 174999999999 will not... I don't
see why you relunctantly accept probability calculus and the question
within the comp frame and you accept it in the MWI... it seems to me you
should reject both.

Quentin