On Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:52:25 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

> Kinda depends on what you mean by 'available'.  If the entangled photon is
> allowed to hit a wall and be absorbed, it is only 'available' to a kind of
> Maxwellian demon who can discern the thermal atomic motions and trace them
> back to get which-way infomation - but the interference pattern is
> destroyed anyway.  If the entangled photon is simply allowed to fly out the
> window and off to infinity it is 'available' many years later to an
> inhabitant of some extra-solar planet - and the interference pattern is
> destroyed in our present.

What if the inhabitant of the extra-solar planet catches the photon in a
lens just like the quantum eraser?

What if the inhabitant naturally has eyes which function as quantum erasers?

What if the inhabitant has one eye which is a quantum eraser and one which
isn't?

What if the inhabitant has a cat in a box with a cyanide capsule triggered
by...

> If is only if the lens is used to erase the which-way information that the
> interference pattern shows up.
>
> So one way to look at it is: So long as the which-way information is
> available, however impractical is may be for a person to get it, the
> interference pattern is destroyed.  This is even clearer in the buckyball
> experiment.

Ok, that's what I thought.

To me it's so obviously driven by concrete participation rather than
'information' though. Learning that it is supposed to rain doesn't mean
that the rain-supposingness is a thing that physically exists independently
of recipients of weather reports. The report is an event in which a
receiver is informed by a broadcaster, but there is no report photon. News
spreads in waves or from individual person to person discretely, depending
on how you look at it, but there is no literal 'news' stuff.

My view is that all energy is this way. It's a figurative signal from
participant to participant - there is no actual thing that is the
signal/sign itself, no noumena projectiles literally traveling through
space, only events of interpreted significance.

Craig