---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: May-Tzu <ferdli...@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM
Subject: [Swines] "Mind-reading" smartphone headband :-?
To: swi...@yahoogroups.com

**

CNN tries out the mind-reading smartphone headband
By Stephanie Busari, CNN
updated 10:38 AM EST, Thu December 6, 2012 |
CNN.com

(CNN) -- It's the $199 headband that will allow you to control things using
your mind, the makers say.

The Muse headband was unveiled this week at LeWeb and Stephanie Busari
caught up with founder of Interaxon Ariel Garten for a demonstration of the
brainwave-sensing headband.

Garten says Muse works using the same technology used in hospitals known as
Electroencephalography (EEG), which records electrical activity along the
scalp.

Muse is embedded with four sensors that allows you to see and track your
brain's activity, in the same way a heart rate monitor gives information
about your physical activity. You can also use your mind to control games
and applications supplied with the headband, Garten says.

"It interacts with content directly with your mind so you can play games
that you are able to control with your mind," says the Canadian
neuroscientist and entrepreneur.

Connecting to any device such as a smartphone, tablet or laptop via
bluetooth, Muse can be worn on the go and includes a "brain fitness suite"
app that tracks the state of your brain or can help you de-stress.

She adds: "And as you play the games, you are working with and
strengthening your mind. The most important thing is that it can help you
improve your cognitive and emotional function, it shows you your brain
activity and gives you targeted exercises to improve both cognitive and
emotional functioning."

Muse will help with improving brain function, power and memory in the same
way Sudoku and crosswords do presently, explains Garten. "But they are
doing that on an indirect level, we are moving it one scale up with Muse,"
she says.

LeBlog: Discover all the action from the final day of LeWeb live on
CNN<http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/04/tech/le-web-paris-12-live-blog/index.html?hpt=hp_c2>

Garten first talked about the concept of thought-controlled computer
technology at LeWeb two years ago.

Since then she has raised nearly double the $150,000 she sought on the
Indiegogo
crowd-funding website <http://www.indiegogo.com/interaxonmuse.>.

"Research labs have been using this tech for years, now its time to bring
all this understanding and improvements to the consumer, taking it from the
labs to your inbox," she says.

"The most important part of ourselves is the mind and it has been rather
inaccessible. This is a tool that helps unlock the mind in really exciting
ways. People seem pretty excited," she adds. "There hasn't been a person
I've spoken to who hasn't wanted one."

I confess to being excited too as I slipped on the lightweight and
sleek-looking headband which rests on the forehead and tucks behind the
ears, like a pair of glasses.

Muse was connected to a laptop and felt comfortable as I got ready to try
out a special demo application called EmoType, a mood-based text editor
that changes fonts depending on your brainwave activity.

It felt strange watching my brain in real-time on the screen in front of me
as Garten asked me to blink and showed me how the action impacted my
brainwaves.

More from LeWeb: Cyborg anthropologist: We can all be
superhuman<http://cnn.com/2012/12/05/tech/cyborg-anthropology-amber-case/index.html>

Then she asked me to type something. "I miss my daughter," I wrote and was
surprised to see the font suddenly change to a more flowery style as I
typed out daughter. Ariel explained that as I focused on what to type in
the beginning, the text was clean and tight and as I became more open and
relaxed the text appeared more flowery.

When someone is smiling, the letters will suddenly appear very big, she
explained.

Undoubtedly, EmoType, though only a demo at present, has huge implications
for new ways of communication in the real and virtual world in the future.

Developers will be excited at the possibility of creating applications that
could perhaps be used to convey information through avatars.

Could it be the end of the exclamation mark?

Muse is available to buy on the Indiegogo website until December 7 for
early adopters and after that, will be available again in June 2013, when
they start shipping.

< http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/06/tech/ariel-garten-muse-interaxon/ >
http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/06/tech/ariel-garten-muse-interaxon/

 __._,_.___
to sender
<ferdli...@yahoo.com?subject=Re%3A%20%22Mind-reading%22%20smartphone%20headband%20%20%3A-%3F>
to group
<swi...@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20%22Mind-reading%22%20smartphone%20headband%20%20%3A-%3F>
 Start
a New
Topic<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Swines/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmYTlwdjFyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzg0NzM5MjU1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcxMTY0MzYyNwRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzNTQ4MTk5MDE->
 Messages
in this
topic<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Swines/message/10760;_ylc=X3oDMTM3ZGticzg2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzg0NzM5MjU1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcxMTY0MzYyNwRtc2dJZAMxMDc2MARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzNTQ4MTk5MDEEdHBjSWQDMTA3NjA->(1)
Recent Activity:

 Visit Your
Group<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Swines;_ylc=X3oDMTJmMmQzcmo5BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzg0NzM5MjU1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcxMTY0MzYyNwRzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzEzNTQ4MTk5MDE->
 [image: Yahoo!