On 12/17/2012 9:04 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
Hi Stephen P. King
There are many definitions of truth (see below):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth
I like Whitehead's, which describes contemporary politics:

        Whitehead

Alfred North Whitehead <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_North_Whitehead>, a British mathematician who became an American philosopher^[/citation needed <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed>/] , said: /"*There are no whole truths; all truths are half-truths. It is trying to treat them as whole truths that play the devil".*/

The logical progression or connection of this line of thought is to conclude that truth can lie, since half-truths <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-truth>are deceptive and may lead to a false conclusion.

Hi Roger,

I am a massively huge fan of A.N. Whitehead. ;-) You might make sense of my fight with Bruno given this alternative, non-Platonic, way of thinking of Truth.

--
Onward!

Stephen