Hi Roger,

I think there's a lot to worry about, because it's not enough to have an
alternative. This alternative has to be online and have a sufficiently high
energy output before we get to too far away from peak oil. A sufficiently
strong decrease in energy production could create a catastrophic event,
because we now have an immense population that dependes on complex systems
that nobody fully understands and that require a constant supply of energy.
This is pure speculation, but I worry that this is what is really behind
the current economic crisis.

Even more worrying is the fact that we never made contact with alien
civilisations, which could suggest that there is a likely extinction event
ahead of us.