On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 6:31:51 AM UTC-5, rclough wrote:

>  Hi Craig Weinberg
>
> 1) Good point. So far, there is only indirect evidence of gravity waves.
>
> http://www.centauri-dreams.org/?p=15438
>
> 2) Potential energy is more than conceptual, it is the elastic energy
> stored
> in rocks etc. by misfit, by irregular flow of the surrounding material.
> Like the energy stored in a compressed or extended spring.

It's still conceptual. You could point to someone who has a bad temper and
demonstrate that they warp the social environment around them. It could be
said figuratively that they 'have a lot of anger stored up in them' or that
they are 'potentially violent', but that doesn't mean that there is
literally a quantity of potential violence that exists in their tissues or
their aura or something. There is nothing stored in a compressed or
extended spring, rather there is exactly what it looks like - a motive to
restore an inertial equilibrium through motion. Its important to be able to
pretend that energy is like a real commodity in order to calculate and
engineer matter, but in the absence of matter, there can be no energy at
all. Energy is a sensory-motive capacity, not a substance of any kind.

> 3) Your description of energy release is the only fancy here.
> Seismometers record the wave motion of earthquakes.

Seismometers are made of matter, are they not? They measure only the
changing positions of matter, nothing else.

Craig