From: Platonist Guitar Cowboy
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2013-01-17, 15:39:54
Subject: Re: The unpredictability of solar energy

Alberto,

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 9:27 PM, Alberto G. Corona  wrote:

This is in fact the return to primitive cults to the mother earth, the feeder,
that give us resources from his pregnant belly. It is exactly that. only that
instead of vegetabless and game, it is minerals and energy and "biodiversity".

I have to say that the utopism/apocalipticism is a perversion of christianity
that had its justification in the spectations of primitive cristianity, but
Saint Agustine reinterpreted it well to avoid its revolutionary and disturbing
character. Joaquin de Fiore, broke with the agustinian interpretation and
proposed a new age of?pirituality?n earth. This reinterpretation is
widely?dmitted?y most historians as the foundation of modernity. The
evangelical movements, the French revolution, the?ommunism?nd the current
environmentalism are the derivations of this expectancy in ever increasing
degrees of radicalism and inmanentism. ?

Once the distorted?hristian?ects, first,?nd then the grand ideologies passed
by, the only remain in the resulting nihilism are the primitive atavic cults
that return naturally back, permeated by the distorted?hristian?spirations and
all other rests of the shipwreck.

Eric Voegelin is the great philosopher that more deeply studied the spirit of
modernity as a consequence of the helenic and christian roots. I recommend "The
new science of Politics".?

It seems like the mix of fear and desire for the extraordinary grows with the
repression of magic in ordinary life. Magic is dangerous because it
promotes?yranny?nd manipulation, and the repression of magic allows an
scientific study of reality, and for this matter the christian spirit gave
science and, for the first time in history, applied science. But the desire for
the extraordinary persist.?

The apocalypse myth has been with every generation. Attacking it has nothing to
do with finding flaws in the work of Hansen and co. Not my area of expertise,
but from what I read, as far as we know, it's as solid as we can get. If
everybody that tries to frame facts critically with available data is alarmist,
then how can do you save criticism?

PGC
------