On Saturday, January 26, 2013 11:55:22 AM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote:

>  On 1/26/2013 11:45 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>

> On Saturday, January 26, 2013 11:36:45 AM UTC-5, JohnM wrote:
>>
>> Craig, I read many of your posts, none was so pessimistic so far.
>

> Ah, maybe I was being more sarcastic than the internet allows. I was
> intending to mock those ideas by quoting Scrooge, as I think that there is
> nothing further from the truth than the idea that character is completely
> independent from their circumstance - that people with no shoes can pull
> themselves up by their bootstraps or who have been born into a system of
> oppression can free themselves by belief in the free market or some such
> thing.
>
> Craig
>
> Hey!
>
>     What exactly is a system of oppression? Could you describe an actual
> situation in Nature that is "oppression-free"?

Slavery, or apartheid are systems of intentional oppression, but poverty in
a land of plenty is oppressive also, even if oppression of the poor is an
unintentional effect. If it takes two million peasants to prop up one
Imelda Marcos, then being born into the system which does that is an
oppressive one, and not one which you can escape by adopting a positive
attitude.

Just because life isn't free of oppression doesn't mean that if an Imelda
Marcos manages to tyrannize a country that it is the will of Nature. To the
contrary, the will of Nature is for the oppressed to kill and eat their
oppressors at the earliest opportunity.

Craig