Craig:
beautiful series. Mostly agreeable terms.
I used some of it in a slightly different sense, but not oppositional;

*Organisms do not adapt. *We have to realize the diversity of ALL existence
and "similarly looking" groups show differences, observed. or beyond our
capability of detection. Those with closer details to fit into the existing
(also unlimited?) variety of nature will survive, giving to the scientist
the view of 'adaptation.
A good example is the activity of antibiotics: no microbe will adapt (or
decide a change in offspring development!) upon REALIZING the danger of an
antibiotic, so whichever kinds are receptive, will die. The different
variations (undetected by our ongoing measuring capabilities) will survive
and 'fill up' the empty niche fast, giving the impression upon the
identically identified (but different) species to have become immune.
Indeed it is a 'natural selection' (see below).

*Natural selection *(see above) comes back to diversity.

*The Fittest and their survival *refers to the circumstances and their
change: Dinosaurs were the 'fittest' when they got extinct, because of 2ary
changes in the environment. John is right to eliminate the superlative. Fit
fir survival is sufficient.

*Adaptation *would imply evaluation of what's wrong and how's it better and
THEN direct changes in achieving such. A social group MAY do that (not many
to be found) but 'species'? especially ONE member in its lifetime? not
likely.

*Random? * I deny the term since it's application would negate the
possibility of prediction of 'the next step" in natural sciences. There may
be applicable circumstances among which we don't know how to select the
most likely one, as I recall Russell's "relatively random" case, but once
we can 'generate' randomity, it is not "random".

* Chance? * coinciding with more than we know of at present.

*Evolution *IMO and in the sense of Craig's word of misconception hides
some teleological content. If the 'end' (goal?) is fixed, Why EVOLUTION?
why did the Creator(???) make it perfect to begin with?
In my (agnostic) view there is an infinite complexity "out there" of which
only some proportion infiltrates our knowable world in a steadily enriching
fashion - adjusted to the mental capabilities we carry. This is our "MODEL"
of the world. There are relations we may (not?) know about and effects
unknown upon cases we think we (may) know about. I like the Flat Earth as
an example, Brent wrote the other day an appreciable list of such. I would
add the case of 'electricity' observed in certain fashion, described and
calculated (used?) as we presently understand it. It may be more, different
from what we think today. Volta and Faraday captured one aspect only. And
we feel SOOO smart!

John Mikes