On 2/5/2013 12:41 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Tuesday, February 5, 2013 7:53:22 AM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote:

    Hi,

         ISTM that purpose is a 1p, so to ask the question in a 3p
    sense is
    to make it meaningless.

Yeah, I don't see how noting that the 3p mechanism of probabilistic replication implies any 1p significance.

Things replicate. Some replications persist for longer than others. So what? What is the purpose of persistence? How did the principles of probability and and repetition evolve or appear?

Craig

Hi Craig,

I don't think that there is a 'purpose' per se to persistence. It either occurs or does not. But think of what persistence implies. When we say that X persists, we are effectively saying that multiple 1p versions of it can exist that are, somehow, different from each other and yet 'point to' one and the same X. Maybe they don't point to the 'same' X but they point to different versions of X that are, within some error limit, indistinguishable. Purpose is a strange word that needs to be carefully defined! Intentionality ....

--
Onward!

Stephen