On 2/18/2013 10:49 PM, Jason Resch wrote:

3. We need not our memories to be ourselves. Imagine concentrating heavily on some task, such as taking an exam, or driving in perilous conditions. You become so focused on your task that you use almost none of your personal long term memories. In principal, large portions of your brain could be disconnected without impacting your performance or experience.

I think that is very doubtful. You seem to equate memory entirely with conscious narrative memory, but what we think consciously is only a small part of our thinking. In fact it might be a quite small part that could be disconnected. When I think of the solution to a problem it often just 'pops into my head'. It obviously depended on my memory, because, for example, I didn't just unconsciously invent calculus to solve it.

Brent

How much of you really goes into any given moment of your experience? Could we cut out 20%, 50%, 75%, 90% of your memories while you are busy at this task? It is still you experiencing that test, or that drive, but what about that experience makes it yours?