On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 2:28 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 2/19/2013 4:08 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>

> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>  On 2/19/2013 1:58 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 3:39 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>>  On 2/18/2013 10:49 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>>>
>>> 6. Swapping places with someone: In 5 seconds, your mind and
>>> consciousness will swap with that of some rich and famous person.  Let's
>>> say Bill Gates.  I hope you are ready.  5. 4. 3. 2. 1.  The swap is
>>> complete.  Bill Gates is now in your body, with access to your memories and
>>> living as you were just before you got to reading this sentence, while you
>>> are living as a billionaire and enjoying Bills bank account.   Of course,
>>> while you are in his body you only have access to his memories.  Not only
>>> does his wife not notice the switch, but you don't even notice it.  You
>>> only have access to Bill's memories now so you do not realize anything is
>>> awry.  Don't worry, everything will be set back how it was, in 3. 2. 1.
>>> Welcome back. How was it? Of course, you don't remember. Fortunately, Bill
>>> was nice enough to read the last few sentences for you and now they have
>>> been placed into your memory.  This shows it is meaningless to say "I wish
>>> I could live as X", or "experience a day in Y's shoes".  For all you know,
>>> you already are, have, and will.
>>>

>>>  This, if true, only shows that "you" and "Bill Gates" don't exist
>>> apart from your bodies and memories, so that it is nonsense to talk of
>>> exchanging bodies and memories.
>>>

>> We agree it is nonsense.
>>

>>>    For it to make sense there would have to be a "you" soul and a "Bill
>>> Gates" soul that switched.
>>>

>> Okay, if no soul involved, then by what means can we talk of you at T1
>> and you at T2, when the two are different in terms of memories and material?
>>
>> There is a problem with any theories of personal identity two individuals
>> at two different times.  Inevitably it comes down to some arbitrary measure
>> of similarity.  There are two alternatives, no-self theories of personal
>> identity, in which you are nothing but a single observer moment, and
>> universalism, which identifies you with every conscious entity.
>>

>>  You have been seduced by comp so that you forget the simplest theory -
>> physical continuity.
>>

> I haven't forgotten it, I've just come to see that the simplest theory
> (while perfectly fine for ordinary scenarios) falls on its face in others.
> Particularly those involving duplicates, material replacement, teleporters,
> amnesia, split brains, etc.
>
> What is physical continuity's answer to the following questions:
> Who will you find yourself to be when you awake from a split brain surgery?
> Do you experience the perspectives of all your branched copies under the
> Everett multi-verse?
> Would you survive or die when you use a star-trek style transporter?
> Do I lose consciousness if I lose access to all my memories?
> [...]

I thought you might say that.  Zuboff explains that this justification is
as clumsy as believing there can only be one red object in the world on the
basis of only having seen one red object:

Imagine a world in which people have
only ever known one object with the colour red. Such naive observers
might easily fall into thinking that to be red somehow also required having
the other particular features of that one red object.

Similarly, the universal immediacy of consciousness is only ever experi-
enced within the various limits of particular mental integrations. The one
self, though defined by the quality of immediacy alone, always finds itself
seemingly bounded by limits of mental activity, by limits of current and
remembered experiential contents that happen to come packaged together.
Within the reach of one nervous system and the memory it supports lies,
seemingly, all the experience that has or has had the intimate quality of
being mine. But accepting this suggestion is as clumsy a mistake as thinking
that there can be only one red object if only one has been seen.

Relying on that intuition is the same as concluding only the present exists
because it is the only time you ever seem to experience.  This of course,
is as flawed as believing only "here" exists, but typically we learn that
other places exist too because we can remember going to them (although many
still doubt other branches or other universes despite the growing number of
physical theories that require them).  If the technology existed to travel
through different people (brain morphing) or merging memories, we might
have a different outlook on experiencing other perspectives.  In the same
way a time machine might convince us other times are equally real, or the
quantum-leap TV show machine could convince us other branches are real, if
we could travel through the perspectives of other individuals, gain their
experiences and memories, we might also see that other people's views have
a character that is no less "mine" than the only one you are currently
familiar with.

Jason