On 3/20/2013 2:22 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
On 19.03.2013 22:25 Alberto G. Corona said the following:
Since I´m more in the side of Aquinas/Aristotle -or even Plato
sometimes- I don not share the Occam views.Occam was a nominalist,
that  is rejected the existence of universals, he did not like to
think in terms universals, because if universals exist, for example
Truth, Love and Peace then they impose some obligations to God: for
example, God must do Good, and must not do Evil by definition. Then,
why Evil exist?

Nominalist did not like to think about these entitities, and wanted
an omnipotent God.  That was the original meaning of the Occam
razor.

But the secularization of this principle produced the modern concept
of materialist science, separated from philosophy, via an empiricism
science and the negation of the nous of the greek, the common sense
and finally the negation of the possibility of objective
understanding of anything but some phisical phenomena, and in general
the negation of anything that can be not tested by experiments

I see a bit of irony in the fact that people who believe in physical reality often call to a principle developed by Occam.

What's the irony? Occam is about our theories and models. One generally believes in some reality; that why you develop theories about it and try to model it. I'm not sure what 'physical' adds to 'reality'?

Brent

A small note. At some time in the middle ages nominalist and realist philosophy departments co-existed in the same University. A lovely fact from the dark middle ages.

Evgenii