On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 3:04 AM, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote:
>> Hi John,
>>
>> http://www.nature.com/news/2006/060410/full/news060410-2.html
>>
>> "Nelson doesn't rule out the possibility that other psychological or
>> spiritual factors may also play a role. "I'm interested in how this
>> experience is generated. That's as far as I take it," says Nelson. As
>> to the ultimate meaning of these experiences, he will leave that
>> question for others to answer."
>>
>> This succint report, by the way, describes a less rigorous experience
>> than the one described in PLoS and is a bit less cautious in the final
>> paragraph than the PLoS one. Who would have thunk?
>>
>> I don't like bets, by the way. I'd feel bed about losing money and I'd
>> feel bad about taking your money. Believe it or not.
>>
>> Full disclosure: I had what could be considered a NDE once. Nothing
>> supernatural about it, no lights, nothing flashing before my eyes.
>>
>> A friend of mine was giving me a ride home late at night and the car
>> lost control on a tight curve. We had a frontal collision against a
>> car on the opposite lane. Thankfully we wer both driving slow so the
>> airbags saved everybody. I lost consciousness (maybe :) for 30 secs
>> and woke to a strong smell of sulphur -- I imagine from the
>> pyrotechnics that inflate the airbags. And a sore neck.
>>
>> The interesting part is the second before the collision. I was 100%
>> sure I was going to die. I did not panik nor did I feel sadness or
>> fear. I felt a calm realisation: "oh, so this is how I die". It was
>> extremely peaceful and a bit psychedelic, in that everything felt like
>> a big cosmic joke. Not a "haha funny" joke, but a joke nevertheless.
>>
>> This has no scientific value, of course. It was an interesting 1p
>> experience that changed my outlook on death for the best. I now
>> consider it a strongly positive experience in my life because I fear
>> death less. I still fear suffering though. I hope my real death turns
>> out to be something of that sort.
>
> Note that studying NDE's does not imply that the researchers believe
> they represent glimpses of God or heaven, any more than studying
> schizophrenia means the researchers believes the patient's delusions.

Of course. I don't believe in God or heaven either, at least not in
the religious sense. I'm not implying that NDEs are a glimpse of
haven, not would I bet on that hypothesis. I'm interested in them
because they are an unusual state of consciousness. I have to remain
agnostic on the reality status of the world as I observe it under any
state of consciousness. I don't have to remain agnostic on the
delusions of schizophrenics, but I would have to remain agnostic on my
own delusions should I suffer from schizophrenia.

Telmo.