On Tuesday, April 23, 2013 5:11:06 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 22 Apr 2013, at 19:14, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>
> A quote from someone on Facebook. Any comments?
>
> "Computers can only do computations for rational numbers, not for real
>> numbers. Every number in a computer is represented as rational. No computer
>> can represent pi or any other real number... So even when consciousness can
>> be explained by computations, no computer can actually simulate it."
>

> You can represent many real numbers by the program computing their
> approximation. You can fan constructively on all real numbers (like the UD
> does notably).
>
> Only if a brain uses some non computable real number as an oracle, with
> all decimals given in one "strike", then we cannot simulate it with Turing
> machine, but this needs to make the mind actually infinite.

If the mind is what is real, then there are no decimals. The brain is the
public representation of the history, and as such, it can only be observed
from the reduced 3p set of qualia. The 3p reduction may rationalize the
appearance. From an absolute perspective, all phenomena are temporary
partitions within the one "strike" of eternity.

> So the statement above is just a statement of non-comp, not an argument
> for non comp, as it fails to give us what is that non computable real
> playing a role in cognition.

What does the machine say when we ask it why it can't understand pi without
approximating it?

> But there is something correct. A computer, nor a brain, can simulate
> consciousness. Nor can a computer simlulate the number one, or the number
> two. It has to borrow them from arithmetical truth.

Then why would your son in law's computer brain provide him with
consciousness?

Craig