I think it is worth nothing the difference between active and passive
attacks.

Active attacks being those where traffic is modified inflight by the
eavesdropper or where there is a specific target.  If you are specifically
targeted I agree with Telmo there is nothing you can do, as every operating
system is filled with remotely exploitable bugs which can be used to
implant software on your machine, many governments possess CA private keys
which can defeat SSL encryption used when you access secure sites, and even
your keyboard and monitor give off RF signals that can be used to see
what's on your screen or know what you are typing remotely.  So if you are
actively targeted and they tamper with the traffic or exploit your
operating system there is little you can do.  However, I am doubtful that
the currently disclosed program involves mass-hacking of individual's
machines or mass-tampering of traffic, which would be trivially detectable.

If one is seeking protection against passive eavesdropping there are many
things one can do.  Even unauthenticated encryption provides protection
against purely passive eavesdroppers in many cases.  For e-mail protection
there are some browser extensions which integrate with various webmail
services (
http://lifehacker.com/5966787/mailvelope-offers-free-easy+to+use-pgp-encryption-for-gmail-outlook-and-other-webmail-services)
for IM there is an OTR (off the record) messaging plugin, there are
also
browser extensions to enable HTTPS everywhere (
https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere ), and there are also search engines
that claim to not record your searches ( https://startpage.com/ ).

The big downside with PGP is that if your PGP is ever disclosed or revealed
in the future, it is possible to go back and decrypt everything that you
ever sent.  With live protocols (such as HTTPS and OTR) that use
Diffie-Hellman key agreement, there is the property of forward security.
This means that in the future if your keys are disclosed, then even with
the recorded traffic it is not possible to go back and decrypt what was
sent.

Jason