What are monads ? Can they help us to understand the dark energy universe ?

I don't know about you, but I have trouble seeing how it all works
from just particle physics. Monads or substances or concepts are
a possible starting point of viewing the universe in the large instead
of as elementary particles. And the beautiful thing about them is
that Leibniz rejected basing his philosophy on atoms, so that it
applies to energy fields such as dark energy as well.

To do so we must enter the world of metaphysics in order to understand events
more complex or larger than single events,.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universals#Problem_of_universals

"The noun "universal" contrasts with "individual", while the adjective
"universal"
contrasts with "particular". Paradigmatically, universals are abstract (e.g.
humanity),
whereas particulars are concrete (e.g. the person of Socrates). "

Perhaps the chief obstacle to understanding Leibniz is his invention and use of
the monad,
as defined in his Monadology. The reason is that L wanted to base his
metaphysics on
what could be well defined as individual or unitary concepts, "atoms of
thought".
This implies a whole without parts, both physically and conceptually. That
means that the
monads are all alive. Since they are alive they are constantly changing.

Atoms are excluded, one reason (my reason) being that, according to Heisenberg,
the
definition of a particle must be uncertain.

Monads are these unitary or partless bodies or concepts, which cannot be
subdivided
into parts without destroying their identity or meaning, thus killling them.
The mind of an
individual is a monad, brain is a monad, and body is a monad, self within mind
within
brain within body.

A monad can thus contain myriad monads, both by splitting at a given level
but also containing monads at lower levels.

It may be that we divide a monad such as humanity into parts which are people
monads.

It may be that the Self contains a conscious monad and an unconscious one.

There are three classes of monad, those called 'spirits" (which we would call
souls).
which are monads with intellect, secondly Souls or animals and plants that are
sensitive to the environment and can feel pain, and lowest of all, "bare, naked

monads", such as rocks, which are sleepy, dull, and unfeeling.

We cannot identify things in this way if instead we use atomic theory or
materialism,
which as we shall see, gives L's metaphysics enormous power beyond that of
materialism.
Bertrand Russell and perhaps many of you will find monads to be, to use R's
woirds,
a "fairy tail", but as long as you are careful, and follow logic rather than
folk ideas,
you will gain enormous power to understand the world.

Leibniz, besides his providing us with monads, also essentially gives us a kit
of metaphysical tools (rather than encyclopedic treatises) that we ourselves
can use to explore the world.

Dr. Roger B Clough NIST (ret.) [1/1/2000]
See my Leibniz site at
http://independent.academia.edu/RogerClough