>>Can't that logic be used to justify anything though?

no. For example:

>> "Why do we have telekinesis and and time travel-at-will?...Well, maybe its
>> just an epiphenomenon that's left over from something else."

it can't be used to justify that.

We have no reason to believe in telekinesis Craig nor time travel at will.
Anxiety on the other hand is common. Yes?

>> Instead of reaching for a supernatural explanation, determinism compulsively
>> reaches for a sub-natural explanation.

I don't think so. Determinism is a view people are driven to based on what they
know about the world. Its an end point, a conclusion. It doesn't 'compulsively
reach' for anything.

>>The compulsion is the same - taking comfort in the familiar. Instead of "God
>>did it." it's just "Some unconscious mechanism did it.".

Comfort in the familiar? You think theres comfort to be had in determinism?
That it is familiar? I don't think people feel that way.

Whatever. when people make claims as bold as yours, that determinism is
logically incompatible with the existance of anxiety; then I want to see
whether they are serious or just  bigging up pet theories with claims they
can't justify. You're evading the question and kicking up mud.

>> The whole point of determinism and physical closure is to avoid
>> unjustifiable surprises.

Like I said, there isn't a point to determinism. It is a conclusion that is
reached.

>> If we are going to allow that "desires" are conjured randomly in the midst
>> of barren austerity for no conceivable purpose, then why bother to assert
>> that there are any deterministic laws at all.

Who's conjuring what and whats barren and austere??? What are you talking
about?

Look, It is because the world can be decribed by laws that are deterministic or
probabilistic that we feel led to and caught between this pincer. Between
randomness and fate. You put the cart way before the horse.

>> aybe they are epiphenomena coming along for the ride? Why not say that the
>> laws of physics are a random conspiracy of brain chemicals, "zexires", which
>> give the impression of validating each other because it makes us more tender
>> and juicy for the hideous demons who raise us as cattle?

You're out with fairies tonight Craig. Good luck to you.