On 9/26/2013 10:25 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
On 27 September 2013 13:30, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
On 9/26/2013 8:02 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

On 27 September 2013 12:52, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

On 9/26/2013 7:48 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

On 27 September 2013 12:34, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

On 9/26/2013 7:15 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

On 27 September 2013 11:03, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

This is a sort of cul de sac experience, which has to be impossible to
create if QTI is true. The existence of a universal dovetailer entails
the lack of all cul de sac experiences (Comp immortality).

So does it make loss of consciousness impossible? ....under
anesthesia?...forever?

It makes permanent loss of consciousness (which is what death is)
impossible.

How?  If temporary loss of consciousness is possible, what puts a time
limit
on it?  What is the limit? an hour?  a day?  a year?  a billion years?

If you're unconscious for a trillion years or a minute it's all the
same. Death is when you never, ever wake up.

OK.  So why is that impossible?

It's not impossible if you lose consciousness and there are no
conscious entities with your memories and mental states just before
you lost consciousness.

??  But I'm a conscious entity with my memories and mental states just
before I lost consciousness.  Did you mean "just after"?

Are you saying something depends on a time gap?  But what time?...the
computed physical time?
If there is an entity that remembers being me at time t1 then the me
at time t1 survives.

So neither "before" or "after" matters, as I thought.

For example, if I fall asleep on a plane and wake
up on another continent 8 hrs later, I have survived despite the time
and space gap and despite the fact that the matter in metabolically
active parts of my brain has changed. The principle is the same with
larger discontinuities in time, space and matter.

And also large discontinuities in mental state and memories. After 8hrs of sleep, or anesthesia, your mental state is going to be quite different than before. As for memories, since you will not access more than a tiny fraction of them on waking how could it matter if the other 99.9% were different? In fact you mainly continue to think your model of yourself is right because you remember why you are where you are and perhaps some other details such as who you are with, etc. It is is very small part of you memories but it is enough to make it very improbable you are anyone else you know of. And so your self-model seems to be confirmed.