On Oct 15, 2013, at 7:26 AM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Monday, October 14, 2013 11:14:36 PM UTC-4, Jason wrote:

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 9:59 PM, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Monday, October 14, 2013 4:37:35 PM UTC-4, Jason wrote:

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wednesday, October 9, 2013 8:08:01 PM UTC-4, Jason wrote:

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 4:52 PM, LizR <liz...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 10 October 2013 09:47, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com> wrote:
It's not that computers can't do what humans do, it's that they can't experience anything. Mozart could dig a hole as well as compose music, but that doesn't mean that a backhoe with a player piano on it is Mozart. It's a much deeper problem with how machines are conceptualized that has nothing at all to do with humans.

So you think "strong AI" is wrong. OK. But why can't computers experience anything, in principle, given that people can, and assuming people are complicated machines?

I think Craig would say he does think computers (and many/all other things) do experience something,

You're half right. I would say:

1. All experiences correspond to some natural thing.
2. Not all things are natural things. Bugs Bunny has no independent experience, and neither does Pinocchio. 3. Computers are made of natural things but, like all machines, are ultimately assembled unnaturally. 4. The natural things that machines are made of would have to be very low level, i.e., not gears but the molecules that make up the gears.

Unless a machine used living organisms, molecules would probably be the only natural things which an experience would be associated with. They don't know that they are part of a machine, but there is probably an experience that corresponds to thermodynamic and electromagnetic conditions. Experiences on that level may not be proprietary to any particular molecule - it could be very exotic, who knows. Maybe every atom of the same structure represents the same kind of experience on some radically different time scale from ours.

It's not really important - the main thing is to see how there is no substitute for experience and a machine which is assembled from unrelated parts has no experience and cannot gain new experience in an alien context.

I think that a machine (or any inanimate object or symbol) can also serve as a vehicle for synchronicity. That's a completely different thing because it is the super-personal, holistic end of the sensible spectrum, not the sub-personal, granular end. The creepiness of a ventriloquist dummy is in our imagination, but that too is 'real' in an absolute sense. If your life takes you on a path which tempts you to believe that machines are conscious, then the super-personal lensing of your life will stack the deck just enough to let you jump to those conclusions. It's what we would call supernatural or coincidental, depending on which lens we use to define it.. http://s33light.org/post/62173912616 (Don't you want to have a body?)

After reading this ( http://marshallbrain.com/discard1.htm ) I am not so sure...

just that it is necessarily different from what we experience. The reason for this has something to do with our history as biological organisms (according to his theory).

Right, although not necessarily just biological history, it could be chemical too. We may have branched off from anything that could be made into a useful machine (servant to alien agendas) long before life on Earth.

What if humanity left behind a nano-technology that eventually evolved into mechanical organisms like dogs and fish, would they have animal like experiences despite that they descended from "unnatural" things?

The thing that makes sense to me is that the richness of sensation and intention are inversely proportionate to the degree to which a phenomenon can be controlled from the outside. If we put nano-tech extensions on some living organism, then sure, the organism could learn how to use those extensions and evolve a symbiotic post- biology. I don't think that project would be controllable though. They would not be machines in the sense that they would not necessarily be of service to those who created them.

Craig,

Thanks for your answer. That was not quite what I was asking though. Let's say the nano-tech did not extend some living organism, but were some entirely autonomous, entirely artificial cell-like structures, which could find and utilize energy sources in the environment and reproduce themselves. Let's say after millions (or billions) of years, these self-replicating nanobots evolved into "multi-cellular" organisms like animals we are familiar with today. Could they have experiences like other biological creatures that have a biological lineage? If not, why not?

No, I don't think that they could have experiences like biological creatures. If they could, then we should probably see at least one example of

Can you explain how the impossibility of evolved nanomachine life becoming conscious leads to the non-observance of the following?

1. a natural occurrence of inorganic biology

Maybe they did evolve but DNA life was more fit. Or maybe machine life is harder to bootstrap itself as it requires a rarer set of precincitions. (such as a technological race).

2. an organism which can survive only on inorganic nutrients

Self driving hydrogen fueled cars, mars rovers.

3. a successful experiment to create life from basic molecules

People are desiging new life forms by writing new DNA.

4. a machine which seems to feel, care, and have a unique and unrepeatable personal presence

Watson seems to have some kind of presence.

5. a mechanized process which produces artifacts that seem handmade and unique

There was a lens designed by a computer which was awarded a patent.

6. two separate bodies who are the same person

Luke a split amoebia or human embryo?

7. an organism which reproduces by transforming its environment rather than reproducing by cell division

Bruno said cigarettes might qualify as such life forms.

8. an organism which emerges spontaneously from Boltzmann conditions in the environment rather than seeded inheritance

Boltzman brains are so rare we would never expect to see them.

9. an event or observation which leads us to conclude that gathering energy and reproduction are sufficient to constitute bio-quality awareness.

The lack of non-physical processes in the brain and the computability of physics points to computationalism.

Jason

Craig

Jason