On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 12:04 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 11/10/2013 2:19 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 10:05 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 11/10/2013 12:29 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
>>>
>>> As I said before, I am agnostic on this issue for the following reasons:
>>>
>>> - I am not educated in climate science and I am sufficiently educated
>>> in science to understand that it would take years of full-time effort
>>> to get to a point where I could judge the merit of climate science
>>> research findings by myself -- even there I would probably have to
>>> become an insider, because I understand that a lot of key data is
>>> never made publicly available;
>>> - I am sufficiently knowledgable of complex systems to be skeptical of
>>> the predictive power of any complex systems model at our current level
>>> of sophistication;
>>> - The issue became so heavily politicised that it is basically not
>>> reasonable to trust news reporting on either side of it.
>>>
>>> I am aware of the 5th IPCC report and I am also aware of claims by
>>> reputable climate scientists that the models' predictions appear to be
>>> deviating increasingly from the observables:
>>>

>>> http://judithcurry.com/2013/10/30/implications-for-climate-models-of-their-disagreement-with-observations/
>>>

>>> Are you aware that Judith Curry was on the Berkley Earth team to resolve
>>> the
>>> question of whether the earth is actually warming.  She and Richard
>>> Muller
>>> had been critical of the analyses performed by NOAA, Hadley, CRU, and
>>> GISS.
>>> When the new analysis, which met all the past criticisms, confirmed all
>>> the
>>> previous conclusions, she quit the team and shifted her criticism from
>>> "it's
>>> not happening" to "it's not predictable".  Notice that means it could be
>>> lot worse than predicted too - but the Deniers and FUDers never mention
>>> that.
>>
>> I've been around long enough to know that she could possibly describe
>> the same sequence of events in a way that makes her look good and her
>> opponents bad. I am more interested in the graphs.
>

> Then look at these:
>
> http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2013/02/2012-updates-to-model-observation-comparions/

Ok so what's wrong with Judith's graphs?

>>> I am not invested in disproving global warming. I like to think I am
>>> scientifically-minded, so I accept reality whatever it is. I hope it
>>> is wrong. I suspect some people want it to be true.
>>>

>>> Yes, you're the perfect example of the success of the Deniers FUD
>>> campaign.
>>
>> Maybe, but I would be more confident that I was witnessing a serious
>> scientific debate if people were not using terms like "Deniers" and
>> "FUD campaign".
>

> But that's exactly the point.  You are NOT witnessing a serious scientific
> debate.  There's ZERO serious science on the side of Deniers.

This is an extraordinary claim. Zero serious science?

> They are like
> anti-evolutionist.

You resort too much to ad hominem and arguments from authority. If
we're having a long conversation about this then use it to teach me
something instead. Explain me the models and explain why the deniers
are wrong.

> All they do is look for some small anomaly (like a
> prediction that was off) and say, "What about THAT?".  You are witnessing a
> disinformation campaign - and the cui bono is pretty obvious.
>

>>> 98% of all climate scientists agree that AGW is happening and it will
>>> have
>>> bad consequences.
>>
>> This is a badly disguised argument from authority. It's precisely
>> phrases like "98% of all climate scientists..." that triggered my BS
>> alarms in this issue.
>

> Since you said you didn't feel up to understanding the science what are you
> going to rely on?

I didn't say I didn't feel like it or that I was unwilling to do it. I
said I believed it would not be possible, with a reasonable amount of
effort, to have an informed opinion. Are you a climatologist? If not,
you seem to believe otherwise beacuse you arrived at a strong
conclusion. In which case, feel free to tell me about the models and
why it's easier to be certain than I think.

> Talking heads on Faux News or the IPCC?

This is a false dichotomy, of course. I sent you a link from the blog
of an accredited climate scientist. Her credentials seem legit, from
what I can gather from the Internet. Your reply to that was to attack
her character, not her ideas or data. This worries me.
I assume Faux News means Fox News? I'm not an american so I must have
watched Fox News two or three times in my life, out of morbid
curiosity when travelling. Plus a few funny videos on youtube that
people share.

Telmo.