On 21 Nov 2013, at 19:28, meekerdb wrote:

On 11/21/2013 1:18 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
Let´s go to a human level:

in evolutionary terms, I would say that truth is a belief hardcoded by natural selection.

This is self-defeating or circular. You need the "truth" of natural selection to make sense of it.

That seems to confound "truth" and "existence".

I don't see why. I was talking on the truth of the evolution facts.

There are some facts that make the theory of natural selection true (if it is true).

Yes.

Those facts may include hardwired beliefs in human brains and then they exist whether there is a theory that expresses them or not.

So you say "they exist" is true. What I said is that this is circular when used to define truth from evolution.

It's not circular if it is grounded in facts.

No. Evolution remains circular as an explanation of truth (it is not circular as an explanation of the species, but that's another topic).