On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 13 Dec 2013, at 00:51, LizR wrote:
>
> On 13 December 2013 07:04, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
>>

>> On 12 Dec 2013, at 18:31, meekerdb wrote:
>>
>> Is it true that you're transferring to the University of Uruguay, Bruno?
>>

>> Yes, but not exactly. Apparently I will be triplicated in Washington,
>> Colorado, *and* Uruguay.
>

> And Amsterdam?
>

> I will be read and annihilated in Amsterdam.
>
> :)
>
> But note that in Amsterdam, cannabis is illegal, completely illegal. It is
> just tolerated and decriminalized.
> And that's bad, because it makes the coffee-shop owners sill in relation
> with the criminals. It does not solve the root problem. They do progress, as
> they allow more farmers to grow it, but only exceptionally, and still under
> tolerance, not law.
>
> I am not sure for Portugal, perhaps Telmo know better. I think they tolerate
> all drugs, but don't have the full legalization,

(sorry I pressed some key by mistake and it sent the incomplete email)

In Portugal drug use is fully decriminalized, as well as possession of
small quantities. This applies to all drugs, even heroin and so on. In
fact, you can go to a pharmacy and ask for syringes. Selling is still
a crime and people go to jail for it -- although Portugal is very
lenient on crime overall -- it is unlikely that a person will go to
jail for their first criminal offense, unless it's something really
serious (murder or armed robbery).

I agree with Bruno, it's not enough, but it already provides strong
empirical evidence: after one decade of decreminalization, hard drug
use is significantly reduced (heroin was a big problem before
decreminalization).

I remember the political debate around this, and the conservatives
were arguing that Portugal would become a destination for drug
tourism, and that drug use would be rampant and destroy society. None
of that happened, and even the conservatives don't talk about it
anymore -- drugs simply ceased to be a political topic at all.

Here in Berlin some progress is being made too:
http://www.dw.de/cannabis-cafes-could-set-up-shop-in-berlin/a-17089498

We'll see.

Telmo.