On 15 Dec 2013, at 12:49, Telmo Menezes wrote:

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 14 Dec 2013, at 23:42, TH Kaas wrote:

It's based on just as much as any medium of exchange. It's also quite convenient to use, especially for international transfers.

Right.

A money is anything you trust, and which is hard to copy. Bitcoins might have an added value to the fact that we know more and more than the traditional banks are not playing the rule, and are hostage of corporatism. So, bitcoins are more clean. Although we have to be realist: bitcoins will be quickly taking in hostage too, as long as corporatism prohibition exists. The objective value of bitcoins at the beginning was due to the illegal selling of drugs which reflects better the need than the legal big pharma economics. When bandits/mafia take power, illegal activity can be more representative of value than legal one.

I wonder. Bitcoins reached $1000. I don't think this valuation would be possible without some big fish joining the market. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if even politicians are hedging their bets and buying bitcoins.

Yes, why not? Even banks and bandits.

If this gets to a point where we start being able to do business, buy groceries and so on in bitcoins, then the stormtroopers will show up for sure. But then it might be too late for them.

Also, the cryptocurrency cat is out of the bag now. New ones are popping up, litecoin, altcoin, namecoin, etc. Namecoin is an interesting one, because it's goal is to generate a fully distributed DNS system. This would decentralize the easiest attack vector for net censorship.

According to the level of banditism (dishonesty) or spirituality ("honesty"), better coins can emerge. Namecoin seems cool indeed. The coins by themselves will not prevent banditism, but some coins can make some form of banditism harder. That seems plausible. A complex subject. The new rule here is that there is no monopoly unless monocontrol of the net, but then you develop the undernets, nobody can control that.

Expect crypto quantum pirates :)

Bruno

Telmo.

Bruno