Hi LizR,

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 4:28 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19 December 2013 10:11, Stephen Paul King
> <stephe...@provensecure.com>wrote:
>
>>   No, LizR. I reject the Laplacean vision that is used to "interpret" the
>> mathematical theories. SR, GR and QM, as mathematical models, are immune
>> from my critique. Newtonian mechanics, while a useful tool to use to build
>> bridges and rockets, is problematic as it implies the Laplacean vision of
>> the universe.
>>

> I'm not sure what you are saying - if they are immune from your critique,
> then I assume your critique is in trouble.

SR, GR and QM do not require, and some say even prohibit, a "view from
nowhere <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/View_from_nowhere>". Thus my claim
follows. SR, GR and QM all require some selection of a frame or basis pr
"point of view" that induces a bias. Laplace and the Newtonians and, I
argue, the Platonist assume that the ontological ground can be defined to
have some particular set of properties (and not any other) without any
explanation of how it is necessarily so; like Bruno with his AR.

>>    That change can be identified with a static pattern in a higher
>> dimensional space is OK, so long as we don't ignore the fact that it is we,
>> as transitory entities, that are interpreting that map. The map is never
>> the territory. When we try to use a timeless interpretation of the
>> universe, we can only do so by abstracting our own sapience out of the
>> universe: this is cheating don't you think?
>>
>> No I don't see any cheating. Everything we can say about the universe is
> our interpretation, so bringing that up seems at best tangential and at
> worst a non sequitur.

Ah, but neglecting the "interpretation" and its selection bias - as if it
did not exist!- is the problem I am pointing out.

> We don't "extract sapience" (whatever that means) by inventing
> mathematical explanations - I would say we apply sapience. Adding verbiage
> about change and interaction adds exactly nothing to the description of the
> world we obtain from SR, GR and QM. Nothing else is required to account for
> our experience of change beyond an embedded pattern in space-time, and if
> anyone is going to claim that something else is required, it's up to them
> to explain why.

Part of my research is looking at space-time as an emergent ordering of
events. People like Renata
Loll<http://www.hef.ru.nl/~rloll/Web/research/research.html>and Kevin
Knuth <http://arxiv.org/abs/1209.0881> have some pretty good arguments
against the idea that space-time is something that "we are embedded in".
This "fishbowl" or "container" conceptualization of space-time is just
another version of the Laplacean vision...
  My wording involving sapience was bad/unhelpful....

>  --

Kindest Regards,

Stephen Paul King

Senior Researcher