On 24 Dec 2013, at 14:56, Platonist Guitar Cowboy wrote:

I know music isn't considered a Science anymore today; it's considered "art" whatever that means. If this means "flashing everybody out while entertaining them by telling them what they want to hear, sex appeal, publicity mongering etc", then I'll be happy to belong to the older group that does not limit music to this definition.

A brilliant example of our times was Ted Greene who passed away 2005. He embodies the antique Greek definition of music theory and practice as a branch of science and numbers.

I mistakenly posted one of his videos on the list before, but here, for Christmas, I offer you some music and thoughts of Greene emulating the Bach improvisation machine (which keeps on churning out music infinitely in Platonia, to any seeker). Improvising in a 17th century language shines a light on the man's universality in improvisation.

Greene gets pretty damn close to Bach's polyphony improvised on a guitar, which I hope you enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkuo2384ZN4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xXNORpbQpU

And for kitchy Christmas Cheer (starts about 1:35min in):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Af0_6Bv6w

I will listen when I have more time, thanks. I think that anything belongs to science when done with the modest interrogative state of mind, and music can be done in that spirit. Then Music is also entertaining, as mathematics and biology can also be. We should not take "discipline" too much seriously, especially their borders. For the greeks music and math was part of the curriculum, as you know well.

Happy Christmas!

Bruno

Happy Holidays, PGC