Hi Edgar, thanks for the reply. But do you agree or disagree with the point
that since different frames are considered equally valid and they define
simultaneity differently, either there would have to be no experimental
means to determine which frame's definition of simultaneity is correct (so
that the assumption of a true definition of simultaneity would be a purely
metaphysical postulate with no experimental significance), or else we would
have to discover new physics that violates the two postulates of special
relativity? If you disagree I think you are misunderstanding something
basic about relativity...on the other hand, if you agree, then which of
those two options are you arguing for?

Also, what do you think of my point that relativity already has a notion of
"time" separate from proper time, namely coordinate time, and that this
allows physicists to make sense of the notion that the two twins meet and
compare ages "simultaneously" even though their ages are different, without
requiring us to choose presentism over eternalism/block time?

Since the block time view treats time as analogous to a fourth spatial
dimension, a spatial analogy might come in handy here. If we have various
paths of some kind (roads, say) on a 2D surface, we have a notion of "path
length" between any two points along a given road, which could be measured
for example by a car driving along the road with its odometer running. This
is analogous to the "proper time" along a given worldline in relativity.
But we could also have a Cartesian coordinate grid on the surface, so that
any two points could be labeled with an x and a y coordinate. Then if we
have roads that start from the same point A, diverge, then reconverge at
some other point B (akin to the world-lines of the twins who depart at some
point A in spacetime and reunite at some other point B), we can assign x,y
coordinates to both the divergence point and the reconvergence point. If
one road was a straight line between A and B while another had some changes
in direction, we will see that the straight-line path always has the
shorter path length (analogous to the fact that the inertial twin always
has a *larger* elapsed proper time--the reason it's larger rather than
shorter is because path length for a straight segment of a path in
Euclidean space is calculated by sqrt[(change in x coordinate)^2 + (change
in y coordinate)^2], whereas proper time for an inertial segment of a path
in spacetime is calculated by sqrt[(change in t coordinate)^2 - (change in
position coordinates)^2]...the fact that you have a minus sign in the
square root rather than a plus sign turns out to imply that in spacetime, a
straight path between points is the *longest*, not the shortest). But
despite the fact that the two roads have different path lengths between A
and B, so that cars that started from A and took each road would reunite
with different odometer readings, the two cars do meet at the same x or y
coordinate (either one can be treated as analogous to the t-coordinate in
spacetime). Clearly this does not imply that other "earlier" parts of the
road have ceased to exist when the cars meet, they're just at a different
spatial position; and similarly a block time advocate can say that even
though the twins do meet at the same t-coordinate, this doesn't mean that
earlier segments of their worldline have ceased to exist as a presentist
would believe, they're just at a different "position" in spacetime than the
event of their meeting.

Jesse