There is one point to add which I think you've missed, Jason (apologies if
I've misunderstood). The UD generates the first instruction of the first
programme, then the first instruction of the second programme, and so on.
Once it has generated the first instruction of every possible programme, it
then adds the second instruction of the first programme, the
second instruction of the second programme, and so on. This is why it's
called a dovetailer, I believe, and stops it running into problems with
non-halting programmes, or programmes that would crash, or various other
contingencies...

This isn't intrinsic to the UD, which could in principle write the first
programme before it moves on to the next one - but it allows it to avoid
certain problems caused by having a programme that writes other programmes.

...I think. I'm sure Bruno will let me know if that's wrong.

:)