On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 6:58 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 12/29/2013 3:49 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>

> On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 5:42 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>   On 12/29/2013 2:08 PM, Jason Resch wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 4:51 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>>>  Brent,
>>>
>>>  It is easy to see with the pigeon hole principal.  There are more 2
>>> digit numbers than 1 digit numbers, and more 3 digit numbers than 2 digit
>>> numbers, and so on.  For any string you can represent using a shorter
>>> string, another "shorter string" must necessarily be displaced.  You can't
>>> keep replacing things with shorter strings because there aren't enough of
>>> them, so as a side-effect, every compression strategy must represent some
>>> strings by larger ones.  In fact, the average size of all possible
>>> compressed messages (with some upper-bound length n) can never be smaller
>>> than the average size of all uncompressed messages.
>>>
>>>  The only reason compression algorithms are useful is because they are
>>> tailored to represent some class of messages with shorter strings, while
>>> making (the vast majority of) other messages slightly larger.
>>>

>>>  A good explanation.
>>>

>>  Thanks.
>>

>>>  But just because you cannot compress all numbers of a given size
>>> doesn't imply that any particular number is incompressible.
>>>

>>  That is true if you consider the size of the compression program to be
>> of no relevance.  In such a case, you can of course have a number of very
>> small strings map directly to very large ones.
>>

>>>   So isn't it the case that every finite number string is compressible
>>> in some algorithm?  So there's no sense to saying 6999500235148668 is
>>> random, but 11111111111111 is not, except relative to some given
>>> compression algorithm.
>>>

>>  Right, but this leads to the concept of Kolmogorov complexity. If you
>> consider the size of the minimum string and algorithm together, necessary
>> to represent some number, you will find there are some patterns of data
>> that are more compressible than others.  In your previous example with base
>> 6999500235148668, you would need to include both that base, and the string
>> "10" in order to encode 6999500235148669.
>>

>>  But that seems to make the randomness of a number dependent on the base
>> used to write it down? Did I have to write down "And this is in base 10" to
>> show that 6999500235148668 is random?  There seems to be an equivocation
>> here on "computing a number" and "computing a representation of a number".
>>

>  A number containing regular patterns in some base, will also contain
> regular patterns in some other base (even if they are not obvious to us),
> compression algorithms are good at recognizing them.
>
>  The text of this sentence may not seem very redundant, but english text
> can generally be compressed somewhere between 20% - 30% of its original
> size.  If you convert a number like "55555555555" to base 2, its patterns
> should be more evident in the pattern of bits.

> [...]

I agree with that in the sense of "random as unpredictable", but I disagree
in the sense of "random as uncompressible". Some numbers are objectively
not compressible, just like some shufflings of a deck of cards are
uncompressible, because the shortest possible description of the ordering
of the cards requires more information to describe than merely giving the
list itself.  So it is with a number and its digits.

Jason