On 16 Jan 2014, at 01:57, meekerdb wrote:

On 1/15/2014 4:03 PM, LizR wrote:
By the way, I may have this wrong but it seems to me your "hyperdeterminism" objection is an objection to block universes generally. I can't see how the big crunch (or timelike infinity) being a boundary condition on the universe is a problem in a block universe (or multiverse) ...?

I think Bruno is thinking of a tree-like branching "block multiverse" so there can still be FPI due to the branches.

yes, like in arithmetic.

Otherwise definite, random things have to happen in realizing the block universe - and Bruno hates random things and he likes infinities,

Well, let us say that I "hate" only the *assumption* of 3p randomness. Einstein define insanity by such belief (of course that is not an argument).

so... But you should read L.S. Schulman's solution to the problem of randomness. He speculates that within the domain of a state we can prepare, which is of measure hbar=/=0, there are special states which are causally connected to *future* states and when we choose a measurement in the future we are selecting out one of these "special states".

Is that not already the case in the WM duplication experiment? The problem is not in the selection, but in a "physical" mechanism making disappear the realities not selected. They always need to add something to the equation, be it a guiding potential, boundary conditions, etc.