Dear Bruno,

On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 11:25 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 18 Jan 2014, at 22:52, Stephen Paul King wrote:
>
> I will write it again. Block Universes are an incoherent idea. It only
> seems to work because we imagine tem as existing out there and subject to
> our inspection from the outside. As if we are God or something... This very
> idea is the problem, there is no God's eye view that can map faithfully to
> any 1p view we might have.
>

> In which theory?

It is an assumption that is smuggled into science and math. An unjustified
extension of the 1p to cover all of the universe. Laplace's Demon is a
good example of this.

> You are just communicating a personal conviction or feeling.

Sure, but I think you can see for yourself what its error is. It is most
difficult to question assumptions that we believe to be true and have no
simple physical falsification.

> I am OK with that, but not if you oppose it to pretend that there is a
> flaw in a piece of science.

It is a flaw in the assumed ontological base of science, the idea that 1)
observation is not interaction, 2) that it can occur passively and with no
thermodynamic cost -exploration of Maxwell's demon proved otherwise-, 3)
can be arbitrarily extended.

3) is easily disproven using arguments from topology. Can a single sheet
cover a 3-manifold? No!

> You must use your personal conviction to isolate the flaw. Not just repeat
> that there is one.

I have told you what the flaw is that I see. You have no explanation for
multiple minds in interaction. Descartes himself neglected to consider how
minds would interact. If he had, he would have corrected his nonsense.

> Bruno
>

> http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/
>

>  --

Kindest Regards,