On 19 Jan 2014, at 20:00, John Clark wrote:

On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 7:51 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> nobody would buy an argument of a lawyer saying that his client is not guilty, because his client is just a bunch of particles obeying to the SWE.

I would buy the argument that mass murderer Charles Manson is the way a bunch of particles obey the Schrodinger Wave Equation, but I'll be damned it I can see what that has to do with his guild or innocence;

That's the point.

that bunch of particles killed a bunch or people or it did not. If it did and if we then send a current of a few hundred amps through that bunch of particles we can be certain it will never kill again; it might even make it less likely that similar bunches o particles kill in the future, although this is less certain.

Yes, and the statistics available seems to indicate the contrary, which is normal, as if a state shows the example in killing, that can only give a bad example, and make execution or murder into a more acceptable things to do. But that is only a non relevant personal opinion, out of topics.

The point is that no lawyer will invoke determinism to justify non- guiltiness.

Bruno

  John K Clark