A second question/thought on MWI. MWI proposes that the entire universe
splits at the point of wave collapse, or rather that it is continually and
infinitely splitting with every possible quantum state. This has been
understandably criticised as a vastly extravagant explanation. A whole
universe, or even infinity of universes, for every quantum interaction
seems a high price to play to eliminate the weirdness of wave collapse. Yet
it seems to me that we can still get the explanatory benefits of MWI
without this extravagance by seeing the situation slightly differently.

I'll explain by analogy. I'm a coder. In the old days I used to back up my
work by making a complete copy of it and putting it in an archive folder.
Nowadays I use git, a source control system that keeps track of the history
of my code and allows me to revert back changes to an earlier point in
time. Depending on how often I "commit" my work, I can have an arbitrarily
fine level of versioning. If git was stupid, it would copy my whole code
repository every time I committed a change, and my disk would rapidly fill
up. It would also be impossible to merge the work of another programmer
working on the same code base because the system would only have complete
individual snapshots. It would have no information about *what* changed
between snapshots. But git is smarter than that. It records only what I
changed in each commit. Thus I don't have to worry about my disk filling
up, and I can happily merge someone else's changes - just so long as we
don't both try to change the same line of code.

To think that in MWI, a *whole other universe* is created when a binary
quantum event occurs is like imagining the multiverse works like my old
backup system. One thing changed, so if I want to keep a record of the
earlier state, I have to copy *everything*. This is the way that Deutsch
seems to talk about the situation. But it makes more sense to me to think
of it as like git. If the universes diverged by only bit of information,
that one bit is the only thing that is "recorded" so to speak. When the
spin of a particle is measured here on earth, causing the universe to
split, there is no need at this point to think that there are suddenly two
Plutos, one for each spin state. What does Pluto know about the change?
Later, this one bit change will ramify out, causing divergent information
flows in the two "universes" which will eventually lead (possibly?
necessarily?) to two completely different universes. But to the extent that
any region of one universe is identical to a region of another universe in
the multiverse, shouldn't we regard those regions as belonging to one and
the same universe, merely with the potential to differentiate from one
another?

In other words, we're better off thinking about locally branching
information flows than an infinite filo-pastry of universes. We can still
answer the question of where the computations of a quantum computer take
place - they occur in a multi-dimensional local information space. Each
calculation line that contributes to the final result occurs on its own
information thread as it were, but it does not require a whole universe to
occur in.

Maybe this economical view is the way MWI theorists actually do see the
situation? If so, I wish they'd talk that way. It makes the theory a lot
easier to swallow in my view.