Dear Alberto,

  I disagree, but like the direction of your thinking.

On Monday, January 20, 2014 3:17:16 PM UTC-5, Alberto G.Corona wrote:

> Computation is understood as whatever made by a digital computer or
> something that can be emulated (or aproximated) by a digital computer.
> So everything is a computation. That is a useless definition. because
> it embrace everything.

Not everything. It would embrace the category of emulations, simulations,
representations and all other information related aspects of the universe.
It is not necessary for this Category to be identified with the physical
world. Yes, it must be related to the physical but that relation can be a
morphism to another Category: that of physical objects, forces,
thermodynamics, energy, etc. Two Categories, side by side, separate yet
related. If we remove the possibility of distinguishing the members of the
Categories they collapse into singletons and then, and only then, are
Identical.

>  Everything is legoland because everything can be emulated using lego
> pieces? No, my dear legologist.
>
> What about this definition? Computation is whatever that reduces
> entropy. In information terms, in the human context, computation is
> whatever that reduces uncertainty producing useful information and
> thus, in the environment of human society, a computer program is used
> ultimately to get that information and reduce entropy, that is to
> increase order in society, or at least for the human that uses it.

Not correct. Computations that generate output that is identical to their
input exist. I would say that computations are *any* form of transformation
of information, including transformations that are automorphisms.

> A simulation is an special case of the latter.
>
> So there are things that are computations: what the living beings do
> at the chemical, physiological or nervous levels (and rational, social
> and technological level in case of humans) . But there are things that
> are not computations: almost everything else.

We are using a very narrow definition of computations and thus miss the
computations that physical processes outside of our CPUs and GPUs are
performing. If the functions of an Isolated physical system are such that
the transformations they induce in/on their cover space (?) of
representations are a simulation of the physical system, what obtains? A
one to one map of the system that co-evolves with it. When we consider
physical systems interacting with each other, could they additionally have
partial emulations of each other within their "self-simulations"?