Dear LizR,

On Monday, January 20, 2014 10:04:38 PM UTC-5, Liz R wrote:

> A process which transforms information?

Any! Define information as the distinction between a pair of things that
makes a difference to a third. The "third" is the witness, it gives us a
notion of 3p...

> Ultimately, digital computation comes down to the NAND operation, I'm
> told, which means it's a lot of "bit twiddling" which ultimately transforms
> one lots of bits into another. I guess versions with non-binary data (like
> DNA I assume?) can be reduced in principle to binary...

We could reduce everything to binary, but we would be very inefficient and
might be making what are actually computable (with a wider definition of
computable) into intractable ones. (Where did that idea come from, Stephen
asks himself... Maybe P=NP after all...)

> Not sure about the entropy definition. Since nothing reduces entropy
> globally, I assume you mean only locally... Or at the cosmic scale? The
> expansion of the universe supposedly reduces entropy, or makes more states
> available to matter at least (I think it increases the maximum available
> entropy, as per Beckenstein, rather than reducing it).

There is an analogue of Thermodynamics within the computational vision:
Encryption and decryption operations are not exactly invertible. A one time
pad encryption, done correctly, transforms text into noise -randomness,
making it the analogue of entropy. So we say that for closed computations
noise, increases of is constant.

> Well, life does that, I guess, temporarily...

Indeed!