On Saturday, February 1, 2014 5:09:05 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 31 Jan 2014, at 22:58, Craig Weinberg wrote:

>>> Isn't everything output from the UD?
>>>

>> No, as I understand it, only the appearance of everything. (Comp answers
>> the question "why is there something rather than nothing" by "it depends
>> what you mean by something...")
>>

> Ok, so then everything is output from the UD plus output from whatever
> computater you are saying generates everything that is not an appearance.
>

> It is misleading to say that the UD output anything, as it is a non
> stopping program. It has no output in the common computer science meaning.

Then what does it actually do?

> Think about a dreaming brain. Your partner in bed is sleepy and make a
> dream. there are no input output,

Not with the world outside of your body, but within the dream, the whole
thing is input and output. You receive dream experiences and you project
your participation in them, just as you would with your body in a world of
bodies. In a dream, you are in a semi-world of perceptions instead.

> but there is still an experience which can be related to the brain
> activity. In that dreams, some entities can have inputs and outputs.
> Input and outputs are relative notions. Then a machine without inoput and
> output can imitate machines having them.

Imitation is an output. It's based on an input. If you have never heard how
someone speaks, you cannot imitate them - because imitation is an output
which requires sensory input.

>>> How does the program itself get to be a program without being input?
>>>

>> See genetic algorithms for one example. See genetics for another. A
>> "blind watchmaker" can make a computer programme, although we can normally
>> write one a lot more efficiently.
>>

> Genetics are absorbing all kinds of inputs and producing outputs. The
> blind watchmaker is a theory about evolution, not an example of a real
> computation which is known to be without input or output.
>

>>> It seems to me though, and this is why I posted this thread, that i/o is
>>> taken for granted and has no real explanation of what it is in mathematical
>>> terms.
>>>

>> No mathematical explanation for what input and output are?! They both
>> come down to binary digits, how mathematical do you want it to be?
>>

> What are the binary digits which define "input"?
>

> Look up any assembly language.

But assembly language must be input into a computer before that.

Craig