On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 12:17:46 AM UTC-5, stathisp wrote:

> they're
> just
> somehow
> it's
> >>
> >> It's because you're stuck on the idea that consciousness is something
> >> extra and optional.
> >

> > Those weren't rhetorical questions. I was asking you for your views. I
> don't
> > think I'm stuck on any idea in particular. I'm more interested in trying
> > discern precisely what is entailed by framing a problem in a particular
> way.
>
> My view is that if consciousness is epiphenomenal it's meaningless to
> ask why bodies emit utterances referring to the epiphenomenon.
>
> >> If you could see that it was logically entailed by
> >> certain physical phenomena or computations you wouldn't have a
> >> problem.
> >

> > How right you are. Do you see this? If you do, perhaps you could explain
> > me how it is so entailed.
>
> I think this paper by David Chalmers shows just that:
>
> http://consc.net/papers/qualia.html
>
> It shows that it is impossible to make a functional brain replacement
> that does not also replicate any associated consciousness.

Which only means that is it impossible to make a brain replacement that is
100% functional. We can list endless examples of functions which can be
simulated without their being viable replacements. A picture of fire
simulates the visual presence of the function that is fire but not the
thermal presence. Likewise, a human presence can be simulated by a 4D
interactive picture without there being any replacement of the presence
itself. If you could make a fully functional replacement of a human
experience, then you would have to include subjective qualities as
functions, in which case it is tautological to say that a functional
replacement of consciousness would have to be function consciously.

Consciousness doesn't have to be function though, even though *human*
qualities of consciousness depend on functions to persist. Functions are an
appearance within consciousness. Every function can have a level beneath
them which is sensory-motive rather than mechanical.

Craig