On 12 February 2014 05:21, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > The possibility of continuity seems like it is implicit in almost every
>> > kind
>> > of experience. A mouse has an expectation of continuity. The idea of
>> > physical laws though is a much more sophisticated intellectual
>> > construct.
>>
>> Arguably psychological continuity isn't real for either mice or
>> people. If you were destroyed last night and replaced with a copy the
>> today version of you would declare that he was continuous with the
>> yesterday version. I would say that's correct, the two versions are a
>> continuation of the same person, while you would presumably say that
>> it was a delusion.
>

> I don't think that my experience can be replaced with a copy though.

So how would you know you were a copy? Here you are today, incredulous
about the story of your destruction last night, but we produce
witnesses and videotapes and whatever other proof you need. What are
you going to say to that?

>> If it were possible to have a change in mental state without a change
>> in brain state that would be evidence that we don't think with our
>> brain.
>

> Some claim that NDEs are such changes, and that their experiences have
> occurred during periods without brain activity. Certainly there is evidence
> that correlates decreased brain activity with increased perception with
> psilocybin uses, which would suggest at the very least that a one-to-one
> correspondence of mental to neurological activity is an oversimplification.

Obviously, since maximal brain activity occurs during an epileptic
fit, during which there may be no consciousness.

> I would not deny that we think with our brain, in the sense that the human
> experience of thought corresponds with the appearance of human brain
> activity, but that doesn't mean that our consciousness and experience of
> living is part of our brain or can be located through our brain.

No, I would not use those terms. But I don't believe that an
experience can occur in the absence of all brain activity, for example
if the brain is frozen in liquid nitrogen.

>> Why should different languages be comprehensible to different
>> cultures?
>

> Why should there be different languages? If neurons use the same language to
> signal each other, why not humans also?

Why are lakes different in shape if they all contain water?

>> Different computer languages run on identical hardware and
>> are mutually incomprehensible.
>

> That's because we are designing the computer languages, not the hardware. We
> want to use the hardware for different purposes, but if the hardware itself
> were designing its own language, why would we expect multiple incompatible
> designs?

If computers developed in isolated groups and chose words randomly or
on the basis of environmental sounds, they would have different
languages. It would be incredible if they did not, like finding an
alien civilization where people spoke English.

>> And why should food and drugs have a
>> differential effect depending on native language?
>

> Because you are saying that language is identical to brain changes. Food and
> drugs cause brain changes too, so we should expect conflicts. Drinking
> alcohol should have different effects for speakers of different languages,
> and speaking different languages should alter the effects of different
> drugs.

Not at all. Computers may have identical hardware but completely
different software. The software differences are still encoded as
physical differences in the computer, for example different electrical
charges at different physical locations on a memory chip. Similarly,
language is encoded differently in the fine structure of the synaptic
connections even if the brains belong to identical twins raised in
different countries.

>> There are drugs
>> which have the same effect on species as far apart as humans and
>> bacteria.
>

> Which is why I say that it should be the same case for language if it was a
> product of brain change. There should be words with mean the same thing on
> species as far apart as humans and bacteria, or at least as far apart as
> humans on the other side of the continent.

Not at all.

--
Stathis Papaioannou